Government has welcomed the final number of RICA registrations – but warned that anyone who violates the Act will be prosecuted.
Speaking during a briefing earlier this morning, the Department of Communications (DOC) and Department of Justice and Constitutional Development (DOJCD) welcomed final registrations for the Regulation of Interception and Communications Act (RICA).
On 30 June, Cell C reported it had registered 99.99% of contract customers, while 97% of prepaid subscribers were registered. MTN had 99.5% of contract subscribers registered and 97% of prepaid subscribers had complied.
Vodacom recorded 98.98% contract subscriber registrations and 95.2% of prepaid subscribers had complied.
With only a few hours to go until the RICA deadline, the Department of Communications (DOC) has urged those who have yet to register their Sim cards, to do so today. With millions still to be registered, the Regulation of Interception of Communications Act (RICA) campaign will come to an end at midnight tonight. “Failure [...]
With less than a week to deadline, the Department of Communications (DOC)says it is satisfied with the progress made by mobile operators in ensuring that all customers are RICA compliant.
Communications spokesperson, Tiyani Rikhotso, noted that with only a few days to go until the 30 June deadline, three major mobile operators had registered over 90% of their customers.
“Cell C indicated that they have so far RICA’d 91% of their total customer base.
MTN indicated that they have so far done 98% of their post paid – which is contract subscribers – and remaining with a 100 000.”
“As far as prepaid is concerned, MTN has done 93% and there is still 1 million to go. Vodacom [has completed] 94% – the breakdown is 1.3 million prepaid customers to go and 105 000 contract customers to go.
Mobile operator, MTN said on Sunday it had resolved a fee row with the government of Guinea that had seen the west African country seize its assets. “The dispute has been resolved. This is a matter between us and the government and we can’t give details,” an MTN spokesman told Reuters. Guinea’s government had seized [...]
Guinea’s government has seized assets belonging to mobile operator MTN and is taking over the running of the company in a row over payment of a 15 million euro fee. A decree signed by Guinea President Alpha Conde said the government had decided to requisition all personnel, equipment, facilities and assets of the company from [...]
MTN has announced the resignation of Douglas Denoon Balharrie Band, an independent non-executive director of the company.
In a statement, the mobile operator noted that Band tendered his resignation from the board with effect from Friday, 11 March 2011.
MTN SA has announced the appointment of Lambo Kanagaratnam as its new Chief Technology Officer (CTO). Kanagaratnam, whose appointment was effective from December 2010, was previously the CTO of MTN Irancell, a position he held since April 2009, and has been in the employ of MTN in various positions and operations since April 1999. “We [...]
MTN has announced that Sifiso Dabengwa will replace current Group CEO, Phuthuma Nhleko, when he steps down in March 2011. The long-awaited announcement has been made as Nhleko prepares to exit the company after 8 years. Nhleko announced in May that he would not be renewing his contract. In a statement the operator also reveals [...]